Founded in 2012, AR Kids Read is a volunteer-based literacy program that is designed to provide struggling readers with trained tutors who donate one hour each week. AR Kids Read’s mission is to improve the future of Arkansas children and families by advancing literacy education through engaging communities and tutoring so that every child in Arkansas can read proficiently by the end of third grade. AR Kids Read provides 1st through 3rd graders in 47 schools with a reading mentor/tutor to equip them with the foundational skill to be successful in school, their family, and their community.
Reporting to the Executive Director and Program Coordinator, the Regional Coordinator VISTA:
- Provides support to tutors and schools.
- Coordinates with principals, literacy coordinators, and teachers to ensure program success at school level.
- Provides hands-on support during events and tutor workshops.
- Assists in the expansion and strengthening of partnerships.
- Participates in volunteer recruitment.
- Assists in developing and documenting ongoing improvement of the program and materials.
- Assesses current communication practices to continue building sustainable, relevant, and engaging practices.
This is a full-time national service position that provides a living allowance of $12,277 over the course of one year, plus a $5,920 education award at the end of a successful one-year term of service. Health insurance is not available, but some health coverage options to help with the cost of co-pays and other medical expenses are available to VISTA Members. Childcare assistance and relocation assistance are available to VISTA Members who qualify. Some professional development training opportunities are offered and paid for by AR Kids Read. You are responsible for your own housing and other living expenses.
The Regional Coordinator VISTA will be thoroughly committed to AR Kids Read’s mission and to national service. All candidates should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong people skills, with ability to form effective working relationships with a wide range of people.
- At least 18 years of age.
- A United States Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred.
- Available to begin serving on July 23, 2018 with term of service ending July 2019.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Teiraney Ousley, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Include the words “Regional Coordinator VISTA” in the email subject line.
There will be two more steps to the application process once you send your resume and cover letter.