|AR State Title||Director of University Relations|
|Minimum Salary or Salary Range||$60,000 to $70,000 commensurate on experience|
|Working Title||Director of Media Relations|
|Department Org||120000 – Office of the President|
|Position Summary||The Director of Media Relations will be responsible for developing and executing integrated public and media relations programs designed to advance the mission and vision of the University of Central Arkansas in traditional and new media. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Director of Media Relations serves as a key media strategist for colleagues across the university. Responsibilities include serving as the spokesperson for UCA, issues management and crisis communications, development and implementation of proactive media strategies and tactics, management of media relations and strategic communications involving the University President and leadership at all levels. This includes vice presidents, deans, faculty, administration and students. Will have access to sensitive and confidential information.|
|Job Duties and Responsibilities||• Manages and releases news, fields day-to-day media inquiries and plays the lead role in the university’s issue management and crisis communications efforts. Pitch stories of programs and events. Serves as the critical member of the crisis communications team, responding proactively and creatively in a fast-paced media environment for a brand with high visibility.
• In collaboration with the Chief of Staff and the Vice President for Advancement, works to coordinate and implement communications and media relations efforts in support of the President and other leaders in UCA’s central administration.
• Prepares news releases, media statements, talking points, briefing materials, Q & As, news articles and other materials for internal/external audiences.
• Builds and maintains productive relationships with national, regional and local news media.
• Conduct all media interviews on behalf of the institution.
• Monitor all media hits including but not limited to TV, Print, Radio and Web.
• Works in conjunction and collaboration with University Advancement as well as other entities on campus to ensure messaging is in agreement.
• Draft and disseminate all press releases and media notices regarding the President’s Office and/ Board of Trustees.
• Outstanding communications skills-with a strong command of grammar and knowledge of Associated Press style – and presence at all levels and for all audiences, internal and external
• Work with Advancement and Special Events to ensure all aspects of said event are covered.
• Work with College of Fine Arts and Communications and Office of Outreach to ensure press releases are sent out in a timely manner.
|Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities||See Job Duties and Responsibilities.|
|Required Education and/or Experience||Bachelor’s Degree required and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in media relations including journalism, communications and public relations.|
|Preferred Education and/or Experience|
|University, Campus, and Community Description||Founded in 1907, UCA has an enrollment of approximately 11,500 students. The university offers more than 75 undergraduate and more than 50 graduate certificate and degree programs, including doctoral programs in five disciplines. The student body consistently scores above the national average on the ACT exam. UCA is proud of its tradition of teaching excellence and its contributions in scholarship and creative activities. The campus is widely acclaimed for its beauty. UCA is located in Conway, Arkansas, a thriving city of approximately 60,000 in central Arkansas, and thirty minutes from Little Rock. Conway is home to several major industries, two private colleges, an excellent public school system, and strong private K–12 schools. Residents have easy access to the Ouachita and Ozark National forests and pristine wildlife areas near the Buffalo National River.|
|Desired start date||08/16/2018|
|Physical Demands Checklist|
|Background Check Statement||This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal, sex-offender registry, financial history background check and drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.|
|UCA EEO Statement||The University of Central Arkansas is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution dedicated to attracting and supporting a diverse student, faculty and staff population through enhanced multicultural learning environments and opportunities. In keeping with its nondiscrimination policy in employment, admissions and other functions and programs, the university considers employees and students on the basis of individual merit and will not discriminate against a person on the basis of, race or color, ethnicity, religion, spiritual beliefs, national origin, age, familial status, socioeconomic background, sexual orientation, disability, political beliefs, intellectual perspective, genetic information, military status, or other factors irrelevant to participation in its programs.|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||Work Schedule – Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with some evenings and weekends as needed to handle emerging issues and to meet deadlines.
Please supply three references that can supply a letter of reference for you.
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Additional Documents
- Veteran’s Documents