Public Relations Senior Specialist
Little Rock, AR
The Public Relations (PR) Senior Specialist builds domestic and international awareness of Heifer International and its mission to end hunger and poverty. The PR Senior Specialist builds relationships with and responds to inquiries from local, regional, national and international media. The PR Senior Specialist is responsible for expanding in-country and domestic media relationships, cultivating opportunities for thought leadership, and creating campaigns and pitches that inspire individual and community action to end poverty. Strong writing and pitch skills, as demonstrated by samples or portfolio, are required.
1. Increase general awareness of Heifer International, both with domestic and international audiences.
2. Develop and execute public relations strategies and campaigns to inspire a movement to end hunger and poverty.
3. Respond to and initiate media contacts for interviews and information; research and facilitate relationships with all media – local, regional, national and international.
4. Provide media training and coaching; appear on television/radio and participate in print interviews and events on behalf of the organization.
5. Write and edit press releases, media advisories, news wire releases, talking points, position statements, speeches and scripts.
6. Maintain crisis communication procedures and advise on responses, in conjunction with the Senior Director of Global Communications and Public Relations Manager.
7. Track and analyze reports on media impact in support of overall awareness; inform Heifer staff about significant press coverage; coordinate collection of historical and current records of media alerts, news releases and media coverage.
8. May perform other job-related responsibilities as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree plus five (5) years job related experience.
• Master’s degree plus seven (7) years job related experience.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
• Knowledge of public relations and workings of all forms of media.
• Knowledge of Heifer’s programmatic work and international development issues.
• Strong writing, editing and presentation skills.
• Negotiation skills including listening and persuading. Ability to identify public relations organizational threats.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
• Proven communication and leadership skills with the ability to coach and work cooperatively with a diverse staff.
• Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to adapt to conflicting deadlines and priorities.
• Ability to work independently or with a team and perform multiple tasks with occasional interruptions.
• Ability to confidently give presentations and impromptu speeches to a wide range of audiences, including board members, executive members, local to international media.
• Ability to motivate team members and coordinate work with multidisciplinary teams.
• Ability to effectively plan, prepare, and present material and speeches for publication that conform to prescribed style and format with impeccable attention to detail.
• May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods of time, as well as occasional bending and lifting.
• Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
• Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours.
• Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to lift from floor to waist and carry up to 20 pounds (9 kilograms).
Please visit heifer.org/careers to apply. Heifer International is an AA/EOE.